My BoyfriendLlied to Me About His Ex.Thu, Oct 27th 2011
My boyfriend lied to me about his ex. girlfriend who he worked with when I met him.
When I found pictures of her on his computer, he said he forgot they were even there and deleted them. Since then we've argued a lot about his ex and his feelings for her. He said that he didn't have feelings for her and it was only a work relationship. However, I felt due to some other things, that this wasnt the case.
He has a bad memory and can't remember things often. However, I know he has lied to me about stuff having to do with her. When eventually tells me the truth, after several arguments and more lies, he says he does it because he doesn't want to upset me.
I do believe he loves me, and I really love him, otherwise I wouldn't be here asking this stuff.
The thing is, I don't know if he loved me completely when we first met, even though he says he did. I feel like he still liked her and this really bothers me. I can't tell if he's lying to me about anything I ask about her.
Also, after he deleted those pictures of her off his computer, I found a usb key with pictures of me and same pics of her that he had deleted. I don't know if he just had a few copies of them or whether they're the same pictures that he deleted and afterwards retrieved from the the recycle bin and put them on that usb. I cant ask him because I don't trust him to be honest about it. And even if he was, what would that mean? All that picture stuff and ex stuff happened 3 years ago, but it has kept popping up because she worked with him and just stuff would come up.
I really love him and he's my best friend, we're so close, apart from this. I don't know what to do anymore. Everything in my life is falling apart. My dad is very sick, college is terrible and I'm worried about losing my best friend now.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.