Basic Center Program
WHAT IS THE BASIC CENTER PROGRAM (BC)?
Created under the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act (JJDPA), the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act of 1974 was a response to widespread concern regarding the alarming number of youth who were leaving home without parental permission, and who, while away from home, were exposed to exploitation and other dangers of street life. Today, the central purpose of this program is to provide youth with emergency shelter, food, clothing, counseling, and referrals for health care. The Basic Center seeks to reunite young people with their families, whenever possible, or to locate appropriate alternative placements.
Services provided under this runaway & homeless youth program will not be utilized to serve youth already under the supervision of child welfare or the juvenile justice system.
- Family reunification & remediation.
- Safe, Appropriate Temporary Shelter in a residential setting for youth under age 18.
- Food, clothing, medical care and other basic needs services.
- Individual, group, and family counseling provided by certified child & adolescent psychiatrists, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Psychologists.
- Recreation programs.
- Outreach to runaway and homeless youth.
- Referrals to community resources to assist youth in developing the necessary skills and capabilities to make positive and constructive decisions.
- Coordination of school/education.
- Weekly community meetings to discuss group-living issues.
- Focus Groups addressing topics such as alcohol and drug abuse, education and decision making.
- Discharge Planning and after-care services.
Youth at risk of separation from the family who are less than 18 years of age and who have a history of running away from the family.
Age appropriate services or referrals for homeless youth ages 18-21 will be provided.
For more information about this program, please contact Keith Rucker - Lead Case Manager - at 361.935.0206.
Gulf Bend Basic Center Program
6502 Nursery Drive, Suite 100
Victoria, TX 77904
Basic Center 24 Hour Crisis Line: 877.876.7827