|Basic InformationLatest News|AAN: Mercury in Seafood May Be Tied to Higher Risk of ALSDon't Skip Veggies in WinterDoes Mercury in Fish Play a Role in ALS?Increase in Foodborne Disease Outbreaks Tied to Imported FoodMost Parents Don't Think They're Meeting Kids' Nutritional NeedsVitamin D Pumps Up MusclesCutting Salt a Health Boost for Kidney PatientsPossible Drawback to Gluten-Free: Toxic MetalsHealth Tip: Give Your Kids Bone-Building FoodHealth Tip: Enjoy BeansHealth Tip: Eat Your AntioxidantsMediterranean Diet Plus Olive Oil a Boost to Heart Health?Health Tip: Eating a Healthy DietWinning the Veggie Wars With KidsHeart-Healthy Tips for Your Grocery ListWhole-Grain Foods May Help You Stay SlimHealth Tip: Have an Unusual BreakfastWhen Counting Calories, Consider the Cream and SugarHealth Tip: For Better Sleep, Watch What You EatSubstitutions for a 'Slimmer Bowl' Football PartyU.S. High School Kids Abandoning Sweetened SodasHealth Tip: Buying Nutritious Food on a BudgetHealth Tip: Make Sure You Get Enough IronToxins in Your Fast-Food Packaging?Timing of Your Meals Might Reduce Heart RisksMediterranean Diet May Help Lower ADHD RiskCould the 'Mediterranean' Diet Help Prevent ADHD?Health Tip: Avoid Added SugarsMost U.S. Children Consume at Least One Sugary Drink a DayKids' Sugary Drink Habits Start EarlyEven One High-Fat Meal Can Harm Your Liver, Study FindsGrilled, Smoked Meats May Up Mortality Risk After Breast CancerFDA, EPA Issue Guidance on Fish ConsumptionHealth Tip: Help Young Athletes Avoid MalnutritionCould Grilled, Smoked Meats Lower Survival After Breast Cancer?FDA Offers Guidance on Fish Intake for Kids, Pregnant WomenIncentives May Spur Poor Families to Buy More Fruits, VeggiesMonkey Study Boosts Theory That Fewer Calories Can Extend LifeHealth Tip: Stick With Your Healthy-Eating ResolutionCaffeine Found to Reduce Age-Related InflammationKids' Use of Artificial Sweeteners Spiked in Recent YearsMost of Canada's Packaged Foods, Drinks Have Added SugarsSushi Lovers, Beware: Tapeworm Now Found in U.S. SalmonDespite Pledges, No Improvement in Chain Restaurant Kids' Menus: StudyHealth Tip: Eat a Protein-Rich BreakfastWant to Leave Dinner Feeling Full? Bring on the BeansGovernment-Backed Salt Reduction Efforts Could Deliver Big Health Pay DayLots of Red Meat May Be Tied to Gut Disorder in MenHealth Tip: Improve Your DietHealth Tip: Get Enough Vitamin CQuestions and AnswersLinks
Health Tip: Get the Nutrients You Need
by -- Diana Kohnle
Updated: Dec 16th 2016
(HealthDay News) -- Getting all of the dietary nutrients your body needs is critically important, especially if your diet is vegan or vegetarian.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends:
- Get plenty of calcium through dairy products, plant-based milks fortified with calcium (such as almond or soy), almonds, almond butter, leafy green vegetables, broccoli, beans and fortified foods.
- Get enough iron through beans, soybeans, eggs, fortified cereals and dark leafy greens. Eat vitamin C-rich foods with these to boost absorption.
- Eat sufficient proteins through eggs, dairy products, soy products, nuts, nut butters, legumes and whole grains.
- Get enough vitamin B12 through eggs and dairy products. If you're vegan, take a supplement or eat iron-fortified foods.
- Get enough vitamin D through dairy products, eggs and cereals, juice and soy milk fortified with vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about a supplement if you do not get enough exposure to sunlight and do not eat dairy.
This article: Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.