|Basic InformationLatest News|FDA, EPA Issue Guidance on Fish ConsumptionHealth Tip: Help Young Athletes Avoid MalnutritionCould Grilled, Smoked Meats Lower Survival After Breast Cancer?FDA Offers Guidance on Fish Intake for Kids, Pregnant WomenIncentives May Spur Poor Families to Buy More Fruits, VeggiesMonkey Study Boosts Theory That Fewer Calories Can Extend LifeHealth Tip: Stick With Your Healthy-Eating ResolutionCaffeine Found to Reduce Age-Related InflammationKids' Use of Artificial Sweeteners Spiked in Recent YearsMost of Canada's Packaged Foods, Drinks Have Added SugarsSushi Lovers, Beware: Tapeworm Now Found in U.S. SalmonDespite Pledges, No Improvement in Chain Restaurant Kids' Menus: StudyHealth Tip: Eat a Protein-Rich BreakfastWant to Leave Dinner Feeling Full? Bring on the BeansGovernment-Backed Salt Reduction Efforts Could Deliver Big Health Pay DayLots of Red Meat May Be Tied to Gut Disorder in MenHealth Tip: Improve Your DietHealth Tip: Get Enough Vitamin CHealth Tip: Enjoying Rare Meat SafelyFurther Evidence Mediterranean Diet Ups Brain Health in SeniorsHealth Tip: Not All Food Myths Are AccurateDASH Tops the 2017 Rankings for Best DietsPlant-Based Diets Score Big for Healthy Weight LossHealth Tip: Order a Healthier BreakfastHealthy Snacks Can Be Smart Part of a Diabetes DietHealth Tip: Watch Salt in Kids' DietsKids' Restaurant Meals Need Slimming Down: NutritionistsDon't Let Food Poisoning Ruin Your Holiday CelebrationHealth Tip: 3 Steps to Eating HealthierGuidance on Dietary Sugar Intake Based on Low-Quality EvidenceHealth Tip: Add Color to Your FoodHealth Tip: Get the Nutrients You NeedHealth Tip: Keep Teeth Healthy During the HolidaysHealth Tip: Using a Food ThermometerHealthy Diet May Mean Longer Life for Kidney PatientsHealth Tip: Prep Your Refrigerator for the HolidaysHealth Tip: Cooking a Holiday HamThree Low-Carb Meals a Day Can Lower Insulin ResistanceLow-Carb Diet May Aid Your MetabolismAmericans Divided Over Organic, GM Foods: PollVegetarian Diets Called Good for People and the PlanetHealth Tip: Build Your Child's Healthy PlateFast-Food Calorie Labeling Not Working, Study FindsDon't Get Stuffed on ThanksgivingU.S. Kids Are Eating Healthier Now, But . . .Your Recipe for a Healthy, Delicious Holiday SeasonExploding Some Turkey MythsHow to Prepare That Holiday Turkey SafelyHealth Tip: Don't Overeat During the HolidaysChoose the Healthy Foods Options This Holiday SeasonQuestions and AnswersLinks
Health Tip: Get the Nutrients You Need
by -- Diana Kohnle
Updated: Dec 16th 2016
(HealthDay News) -- Getting all of the dietary nutrients your body needs is critically important, especially if your diet is vegan or vegetarian.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends:
- Get plenty of calcium through dairy products, plant-based milks fortified with calcium (such as almond or soy), almonds, almond butter, leafy green vegetables, broccoli, beans and fortified foods.
- Get enough iron through beans, soybeans, eggs, fortified cereals and dark leafy greens. Eat vitamin C-rich foods with these to boost absorption.
- Eat sufficient proteins through eggs, dairy products, soy products, nuts, nut butters, legumes and whole grains.
- Get enough vitamin B12 through eggs and dairy products. If you're vegan, take a supplement or eat iron-fortified foods.
- Get enough vitamin D through dairy products, eggs and cereals, juice and soy milk fortified with vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about a supplement if you do not get enough exposure to sunlight and do not eat dairy.
This article: Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.