I Really Need Some Advice...
Hi, I am a 16 year old female, still in High School in grade 11. I have been with a girl for a year and 7 months. It is a very abusive relationship, and it just gets out of hand. We had one breakup a couple months ago, where I just got so fed up that I had to leave her and be with somebody else for a while to make me sane.
I think that I have Manic Depression and I get irritated so often. We argue very often and I get so irritated with her, and she still doesn't stop talking. I think I am going insane ... Not in a teenager way, but really, I am afraid for the both of us. I think i need help.
When I'm away from her I am much happier. I have tried breaking up with her but I am scared that she would do something stupid.
I also have problems with my body because my heart keeps skipping beats. I get really sick out of nowhere and I am also very healthy so it doesn't make any sense. I have been to the doctor's office many times but he says that I am ok. I have also had blood tests and urine tests, and they have all been clear. I have also had ultra sounds on the stomach. I get sore everywhere sometimes, and I am not sure why it happens... Nobody can tell me.
The more someone bickers with me the more I want to rip my hair out. I am very irritable and it is mainly because of my partner.
Is there any way that I could get better with out leaving her again? All of this is mainly because of my partner and I don't think it is just her. I think there is something wrong with me.
Whenever I am sad or depressed I drink and abuse substances. I am just running out of options and every adult that I have spoken to doesn't understand the severity of my problems. My whole life also used to be pretty messed up. Messy divorces, fighting, courts, and law. So I have experienced a lot which has I'm sure affected the way that I act now.
Just please, any advice you can give to me ...
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.