I am a 27 year old male. As far back as I can remember I was always known for my playful nature, jovial attitude and practical thinking. When I was 18 I had to move, a change that I didn’t want, but lived through it. I can’t say if my life has turned for the better or the worse I still blame the people behind the move for “ruining my life”. For the last 3 or 4 years, things have been not so great mentally. I have been having a tough time making decisions, doing things and then regretting about them, making decisions and then regretting about those as well. Progressively the change has hit me hard and now I am not having fun in life. I used to “love” my job but not I am “bored” with it. My routine has been somewhat along the lines of wake up get ready go to work, come back watch TV eat and go to bed. Weekends are worse, spending time in front of the computer and or watching TV. I want to go into higher studies but can’t make up mind from the fear of not being able to “complete the task”, which I have had a history of for a few years now. For the last 4-5 years I pick on a project and never get around to finishing it. I feel like I have accomplished nothing in life.
All this was not the case a few years back but now I don’t feel the mental strength that I had 5 years ago. I am afraid of making big changes, like changing jobs, moving etc. I am thinking this is as close to being depressed as I can be without clearly admitting it but I can’t find a way out either. What can you suggest for me to do?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.