Erotic Transference and Borderline Personality Disorder
Dear Dr. Dombeck,
I read your answer to the client who was furious at her therapist for not informing her about erotic transference. I, too, am in this painful place. However, in my case there has been some countertransference and we nearly took our various transferences to the bedroom, i.e., suggestion was made, then suddenly relationship was terminated (I got stood up on that very day). This is several months ago, but I'm heartbroken, confused and feel like Tom Hanks in the movie Cast Away when his beloved Wilson is lost at sea. I have borderline personality issues and was wondering if transference plays a different role in my situation? My former therapist has firmly rejected discussing it with me.
Thank you so much, M from Scandinavia
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.