Is Erotic Transference Permanent?
"Good Lord," I wish I had known about this before entering therapy many years ago. Once these feelings emerged they have not stopped and it seems permanent. The only solution seems to be to change therapists but I am too attached and know if I do that I'll break down. I don't discuss it with him anymore, haven't for years. Probably not good but what else can I do? I once thought he felt similar but probably just a projection on my part. Sometimes the feelings are so strong I want to die because it won't happen. Isn't that so wrong? I wish he would act on these feelings...perhaps then it would go away. He could be terrible in bed...that would make it go away. I shouldn't joke but what else can I do? Leaving isn't an option.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.