Am I A Sadomasochist?
Dear Dr. Schwartz,
For several years I have been having the most brutal sexual fantasies about women being burned at the stake as witches. Sometimes I am in the role of the executioner, sometimes I am the victim. I think it has been somewhere in my mind for as long as I can remember but at one point, when I was about 16, it was triggered by a movie scene. Since then, I have been searching the web for various extreme BDSM sites and been having very obsessive thoughts. It is of course just a fantasy, in the real life I have no wish to harm anybody, but I find it very disturbing and sick! I am disgusted by myself, yet I cannot stop doing this. Please, I would really appreciate your help! I know it is horrible and bad, but it just won´t go away! I have been undergoing regression therapy together with homeotherapy. It has been helpful, but the problem seems to be quite deep. I know I am probably sick, that´s why I am trying to figure it out. I have never been abused or anything, I have a great and supportive family, I have no idea where it is coming from.
Thank you in advance
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.