19 Yr Old Naive Daughter
I have had a fairly good relationship with my 19 yr old daughter. She recently began an obsession with talking to people thru xbox on a daily basis. She just achieved her HS diploma thru adult school due to her being home schooled for 3 yrs of High School.
Her biological dad moved out of town when she was 9 yrs old. She has brought up wanting to move to Florida with some guy friend she met on xbox and claims she knows him since they also skype. Her father and I are trying to give her insight into the types of people that con young girls into coming wherever they are and they end up dead or a prostitute or abused in some fashion.
What can I do to be proactive and researching this person she continues to talk to about moving in with? She wants both of us to stay out of her business. She has no job or money to speak of but says he is making arrangements to have her come out.
I care and love my daughter too much to let her move to a strange town and a strange person. How in the heck can you know a person by skyping or xbox? I would appreciate any help....Thx
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.