I Am Wondering What Could be Wrong With Me?
Ever since I was about 11 or 12, I've been wondering if something is wrong with me. I grew up in a home where my parents fought all of the time. I remember being sick a lot. The way I was disciplined could be described as abusive. I was sexually molested, kids made fun of me, and I remember being very depressed from about the ages 10 and up. I have suffered from anxiety attacks in the past. I think I've been very paranoid for years. It has gotten better but I still have problems. I have had problems with being interested in any guy around. I have not been sleeping well. It's hard for me to socialize. Lately I am forgetting what I said a second ago, and I feel suicidal. I am living with my parents again and I hate it. My boyfriend is the only person I trust but my problems affect his life and I fear he resents me.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.