Is this OCD?
I have a major anxiety disorder but I am too afraid to take medication for it. I was wondering if a drug such as Prozac will really help me. This is what is wrong: I am terrified that I have diseases like Cancer and Herpes. I get so nervous even thinking about them that I can't concentrate on anything else. I get so nervous that I have cold sweats and run to the bathroom all day. I am also terrified of doctors so even if I get sick I won't go to them. The only thing that helps a little is asking people that I trust if they think i have the disease in question. I don't know what to do anymore. I am trying to get through a Master's program in University but I think I need to drop out. I am actually very depressed about that but I know my only other alternative is medication and I am so afraid that it will screw up the chemistry in my brain and let's say I want to stop it what if it makes me depressed forever. I am generally a happy person and I don't want to be depressed. As of right now I can't take this thing I have anymore. I know it sounds like hypochondria but I am so afraid of doctors. I think I am more afraid of doctors than the sickness in question but I keep imagining the cancer cells growing inside my body and thinking I am to blame if I have it because I am doing nothing about it. I don't know what to do anymore. What do you think?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.