How Can I Help my Fiancé?
So, I've been having trouble over the past 6-12 months with my soon to be other half. I believe she has bipolar disorder as I have been reading up about mental health issues and noticed a lot of similarities in her behaviour and the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
We have days where everything is fine, then she will suddenly turn and be really angry with me for something as simple as not answering her call straight away (even if I'm driving or at work!!). She even accuses me of having a homosexual relationship with my closest friend! I try to do the right thing by supporting her in everything she does and by doing everything she asks of me, yet, it never seems to be enough.
There are days where I find her self harming and even talking about suicide. The main problem is that she refuses to seek help even though she knows that she might well have a mental health issue.
In addition to this, I have no idea how I can help? she accuses me of not caring about her and not doing enough to help but when I ask what it is that she wants me to do to help I get told, "I shouldn't have to tell you, you should just know!" I'm at the point where I find it physically and mentally exhausting trying to do anything for her any more. I don't know what else I should be trying to do.
I really want to help her, but how can I try to help when she refuses to seek help herself?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.