As of right now I am a twenty-year old female. I was diagnosed with depression when I was 14 and originally put on Zoloft for treatment combined with therapy. I had started cutting myself when I was twelve however and I've had suicidal thoughts beginning at seven. I tend to have quickly shifting moods from being extremely hyper to suicidal to intensely angry. When suicidal or angry, I seek release through cutting because I have an intense need to hurt someone or something so I turn to myself. I also tend to self-sabotage any relationships that I have. When my mood switches again to being happy for a day or two, I reform those relationships only to sabotage them again. Does it sound like I have BPD as well as depression or could these all just be symptoms of what I've already been diagnosed with.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.