The Goal of Therapy
After much self work and therapy it is apparent that I suffered some type of traumatic abuse while a young child. My therapist and I have tried regression hypnosis and I just won't reveal those memories. All I do is cry. That part of me is just a black hole. I function reasonably well as a wife, mother, and employee but it takes a tremendous amount of energy to manage my deep seated rage. My therapist seems to think my inability to remember is related to my firm belief that safety is an illusion and I can never truly be safe. My questions is, should I just trust my defense mechanisms and stop trying to dig out these memories? I've been functioning with my anger and depression for almost 40 years. Should I just settle for this level of normalcy and be grateful that I've made it this far?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.