Advice about past therapy
I was going to a therapist for several months. I had a problem opening up. She was a great help, considering I went to several others before her and got no where really. In my denial and lack of ability to really open up and say what I wanted, she said our time was over and that there was nothing else we had to work on. This was completely based on my lack of opening up and really talking about what I wanted to. I felt there was a lot more I needed to say and talk about, but when she asked, several times, I would say that I didn\'t know what else to talk about. I have ended therapy a month ago, but want to call her back and explain myself, but dont know if this is what I should do, or maybe seek another therapist. Please advise. Thank you!
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.