24-Hour Crisis Hotline: (877)SAFEGBC or (877)723-3422 Mental Health & Substance Abuse Issues

6502 Nursery Drive, Suite 100
Victoria, TX 77904
(361)575-0611
(800)421-8825

Wellness and Personal Development
Resources
Basic InformationLatest News
The Best and Worst Ways to Say 'I Love You'Health Tip: Stay Safe as a PedestrianHere's Why You 'Space Out' After Too Little SleepReady for the Time Change on Sunday?Americans Stressed About Nation's Future, Poll FindsDoes Your Medication Make You a Worse Driver?Turn Over a New Leaf This Fall -- Start ExercisingSpooky Halloween Contact Lenses Are No Treat, Docs SayDo You Really Need to Eat Breakfast?Almost 4 in 10 Tanning Salons Flout State LawsHealth Tip: Keep Your Eyes HealthierEven a Little Walking Can Lengthen Your LifeThe Value of UnpluggingClues to How You Hear in a CrowdHealth Tip: 5 Suggestions to Promote Healthy AgingA 3x10 Exercise Plan That'll Work for YouGood Lifestyle Choices Add Years to Your LifeTexting Smarts for Adults and KidsAmerica's 'Beautiful People' Are ChangingWhat Are Today's Americans Afraid Of?Be 'Mindful' of the HypeBumpier Skies Ahead, Thanks to Climate ChangeThe Benefits of 'Being in the Present'Moving Just 1 Hour a Week May Curb Depression RiskYour Sociability May Hinge on 'Love Hormone'Health Tip: Healthy Brain SuggestionsBody Gestures Aid ConversationSurvey: 9 of 10 Americans Take Cancer Prevention StepsEven a Little More Activity Could Save Millions of LivesWho's Likely to Fall for Fake News?Smoking, Poor Diet Lead Global Death CausesIt's Time to Kick Fido Out -- of Bed, That IsTake a Stand Against Sitting Too MuchDaydreaming Behind the WheelStrong Evidence for Healthy Lifestyle Reducing CRC RiskMany Moisturizers Aren't What They Claim to BeHealth Tip: Diet and Activity May Help Prevent CancerGetting Fit as a FamilyNeed Help Getting Organized?Too Much TV May Cost You Your MobilityPromoting Social Wellness in Your CommunityHobbies and Your HealthHealth Tip: Get Moving and Stay ActiveWellness Visits for Better Well-beingGet Ready, Safely, for the Great American EclipseTV Binge-Watching May Leave You Like 'The Walking Dead'Health Tip: Plan for a Heat WaveGivers Really Are Happier Than TakersHealth Tip: Think Smart During a Hot SpellHow Safe and Effective Is Your Sunscreen?
Links
Related Topics

Anger Management
Stress Reduction and Management

Guard Against This Little-Known Swimming Danger

HealthDay News
by -- Robert Preidt
Updated: Jun 8th 2017

new article illustration

WEDNESDAY, June 7, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- An electric shock is an often overlooked threat to swimmers, a safety expert warns.

"Electric shock drowning can occur in any fresh body of water," said Donald Burke, director of the University of Alabama at Birmingham's Advanced Safety and Engineering Management program.

"Anywhere you may have an electrical device that has faulty or damaged wiring and equipment can cause the body of water to become energized. Then, when the human body comes into contact with that energized body of water, it overwhelms our body's natural electrical signals that control our muscles," he explained in a university news release.

Depending on the level of electrical current, a person could experience anything from tingling to paralysis and cardiac arrest. A swimmer can even be electrocuted, Burke said.

When adding electricity to structures near fresh water, always follow recommended safety measures and conduct regular safety checks, he said.

"Most importantly, you want to be sure you hire a certified electrician who is certified to American Boat and Yacht Council standards and who will know how to install all the wiring to code," Burke said. "You should also work with your certified electrician to add devices that will lessen the likelihood of electric shock."

If you have your own pool, always check the qualifications of anyone you hire to work on it, Burke added.

"Make sure that a certified electrician is performing the inspections and maintenance on your electrical components -- pool lighting, pool pumps -- any of those devices could lead to electric shock if not properly installed and repaired," he said. "Remember that a pool technician may not necessarily be a certified electrician."

If you use a community pool, find out if these same safety measures are being taken.

In North Carolina, a 17-year-old lifeguard drowned in 2016 when she was shocked by electrically charged water. Investigators blamed a faulty grounding wire in a pool electrical system that had not been inspected for years.

More information

The American Red Cross has more on water safety.