(HealthDay News) -- Changing your baby's diaper may seem scary, but don't worry. Within a few weeks, you can be an expert. Gather a clean diaper, wet wipes, a burp cloth and a safe place to change your baby before starting.
The American Pregnancy Association offers these step-by-step directions:
- Lay the baby down. Use safety straps to prevent the baby from falling.
- Remove your baby's clothes. Un-attach the dirty diaper.
- Place a burp cloth over the baby.
- Clean the diaper area from front to back with a wet-wipe. Open the clean diaper.
- Lift the baby's legs up and slide out the dirty diaper. Replace with a clean diaper.
- Apply a lotion, baby powder or rash cream, if necessary.
- Pull the diaper front through the baby's legs. Secure both sides to the front.
- Re-dress your baby.
To ensure that the diaper isn't too tight or too loose, make sure you can slide just two fingers in the top front area of the diaper.
This article: Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.